Sunday, September 20, 2009

OldAndInTheWay



Big Fisherman’s Cove:  Late night, last (2AM).   Sleeping on Siwash.  Grandad’s boat.  The first photo was taken by my Diving Safety Officer, Gerry Smith.  A solid piece of reality in a crazy research project.    Next is what Siwash looked like when Grandad owned her (second decade of 20th century).

Up this morning at 9.  Totally glassy.  So secluded.  The only boat in Fisherman’s.  Researchers and donors only. Not a breath of wind.  Sun beating down.  Have to swim today.  Period.  Jump into the whaler, 2 min to shore.  Check email, then change into swim suit.  New swim goggles.  Ear plugs for the first time ever.  Get in feet first to protect the ear plugs.  Whew.  Then it feels GOOD.  70 degrees.  So clear, so perfect.  Start across the bay, 60 ft visibility, clearly seeing the skates and rays on the bottom 40 ft down, the kelp bass in the water column, bait balls coming and going.  The bass tracking the bait like dingos (I’m guessing, never having seen dingo’s track their prey).  Kicking hard.  Breathing hard.  This is what I am supposed to do.  Take control of my body again.  I respectfully told my doctor I was going to stop taking the miracle statins for cholesterol .  I want to control my lipids and cholesterol without resorting to drugs.  He said he’s against it, but will order new blood tests for November if I insist. I do.  So now I’m swimming to get control of this aging and HDL’s and LDLs and cholesterol.  Shit. 

But all this only heightens my pleasure in swimming this awesome cove.  The water is just gorgeous.  Swimming hard, out to the point.  Kelp everywhere, fish everywhere.  Body aching.  Breathing hard.  Keep kicking.  Be Michael Phelps.  Goggles fogging.  Don’t clear them.  Keep swimming.  Now I’m at the Chalk Cove buoy, ½ km from the dock.  Wipe the goggles with kelp, spit on them (makes the fog go away).  Then back I go.  This time more seaward.  Out over 60 ft.  Barely see the bottom.  Fish everywhere.  Think about sharks.  I always do.  Finally make the dock.  Drag myself out of the water.  A bit shakey.  Being old sucks.



No comments:

Post a Comment